How a 1990s rap label helped inspire the Wizards’ turnaround
Markieff Morris throws down a first-half dunk Sunday. (AP)
It was just the realization that we weren t the team that we knew we were capable of being, Beal told The Vertical. We didn t give up on it. We stayed with it and we re confident in who we are.
The principal members of Death Row D.C. all came through in the first game of a postseason that the Wizards believe could be special. Wall was sublime, with his playmaking, gear-shifting and overall control of the game, scoring a playoff career-high 32 points with 14 assists. Beal overcame a slow start to score 12 of his 22 points in the final period. And making his long-delayed playoff debut, Morris scored 21 points, added four blocked shots and was an irascible foil for Hawks All-Star Paul Millsap. The Wizards rode the trio to a 114-107 victory to take a 1-0 lead in this best-of-seven, first-round series.
- ^ they showed up wearing all-black funeral attire (sports.yahoo.com)
- ^ burying a team that was above them in the standings (sports.yahoo.com)
- ^ Wall was sublime, with his playmaking, gear-shifting and overall control of the game (sports.yahoo.com)
- ^ a 114-107 victory to take a 1-0 lead (sports.yahoo.com)
- ^ Grunfeld was able to snag Morris last season on the relative cheap (sports.yahoo.com)