News by Professionals 4 Professionals

Omaha police continue investigation after officer involved shooting

Posted: |

Updated: Tue 7:41 PM, Apr 18, 2017

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT)– Omaha police are investigating an incident that led to police shooting and seriously injuring a robbery suspect Monday afternoon.

Omaha Police Continue Investigation After Officer Involved Shooting

Monday afternoon OPD responded to an armed robbery at the Bucky’s gas station near 24th & Martha. The suspect, who police later identified as Dillon R. Trejo, entered Bucky’s and pointed a handgun at employees while demanding money. Police say Trejo was driving a white Mercury Grand Marquis, which was later recovered unoccupied near 51st & Farnam. Police were called later Monday afternoon to the 51st street location for a report of a stolen car. The victim reported that a white male arrived at the location in a white Mercury Grand Marquis and stole the victim’s white Ford F-150 truck.

Officers spotted the stolen F-150 in the area of 25th & Marcy. OPD says that when the officers attempted to stop the vehicle, Trejo refused. OPD helicopter took over monitoring the vehicle’s location. Police say that at approximately 4:30 pm Trejo stopped the vehicle at near 26th & Rees. He then attempted to run from officers on foot. Reports say that after running a short distance Trejo turned to face the officer chasing him.

Police say Trejo pulled up his shirt, reached into his waist band and raised his hand arm toward the officers, as if he had a weapon in his hand. The officer discharged his handgun at Trejo hitting him at least one time. The pursuit and shooting were captured on the officer’s body cam. A witness was also able to capture video on home surveillance. Tim McDermott was on his way home from work but was unable to get past the police tape. Later, he found his home security cameras caught the whole scene on camera. Police are able to use it as part of their investigation.

“My dad’s car got stolen a while back, so we put cameras on the house and it just caught it all,” said McDermott.

Trejo was taken into custody and first aid was administered by the officers. Trejo was transported to a hospital where he is being treated for his injuries. He is currently in stable condition and is under police guard. Charges are still pending. The officer has been placed on paid administrative leave, as per OPD policy, while an investigation into the incident is conducted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *