Reference Library – Close Protection
Philip May is the Prime Minister’s “translator” when she talks to businesses, sources have said.
Theresa May’s husband has a long career in the city of London and works hard behind the scenes to act as her eyes and ears according to reports. He also helps to translate business issues for his wife and acts as a key go-between in the City, senior executives have said. Sources told the Financial Times that Mr May also regularly speaks to party members and is known by some as the Prime Minister’s “secret weapon” because he is able to keep her in touch with the grassroots.
Philip May sat next to his wife, the Prime Minister Credit: EPA
Mr May, who began his career as a stockbroker in 1979 has spent most of his working life in the financial district.
He also worked in fund management at Prudential and then Deutsche Asset Management, before stepping back from managing money in 2006 to work on retirement products for Capital Group. But it is his role as the PM’s business translator that has become invaluable to Mrs May’s Number 10 operation.
The PM Credit: Getty
One senior executive told the FT: “He is very much a back channel to City sentiment.
“He does understand business in a way that [Mrs May] has not experienced herself.
“You could say he comes across as a translator for the PM.”
His role in the Prime Minister’s close-knit team is to remain “super-supportive and smiley” at all times, according to the report, which also claims he understands she must be in charge at all times.
Mr May also helps the PM with her fashion choices Credit: Getty
Mrs May has previously highlighted the support offered to her by her husband in her role running the country.
Speaking earlier this year she said of her husband: “He s been a huge support to me. Of course, because he s been involved in the party, he understands politics, which I think is very, very helpful. But she added that having close protection officers means the couple get less privacy.
The protection team get to know what Philip s getting for his birthday before he does because they see me buying it,” she said.
Major construction at three of China s large man-made islands in the disputed South China Sea is wrapping up, allowing Beijing to deploy fighter jets and mobile missile launchers to the area at any time, a think tank said Monday. The building of military and dual-use infrastructure on the so-called Big 3 islands in the contested Spratly chain Subi, Mischief, and Fiery Cross reefs is in the final stages, with the naval, air, radar and defensive facilities largely complete, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI). All three islands boast hangers that can accommodate 24 fighter jets and four larger planes, including surveillance, transport, refueling or bomber aircraft. Hardened shelters with retractable roofs for mobile missile launchers have also been built on the islands.
China has also constructed significant radar and sensor arrays on all three islands, positioning them close to point defense structures to provide protection against air or missile strikes. The think tank s analysis of satellite images offers some of the most conclusive evidence that, contrary to Beijing s assertions, China has continued to militarize the waters as it seeks to reinforce effective control of much of the waterway, through which $5 trillion in trade passes each year. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also have overlapping claims. China has built seven man-made islets in the hotly contested Spratlys, with three boasting military-grade airfields despite a 2015 pledge by Chinese President Xi Jinping not to further militarize them.
China s three air bases in the Spratlys and another on Woody Island in the Paracels will allow Chinese military aircraft to operate over nearly the entire South China Sea, AMTI said in the report. The same is true of China s radar coverage, made possible by advanced surveillance/early-warning radar facilities at Fiery Cross, Subi, and Cuarteron Reefs, as well as Woody Island, and smaller facilities elsewhere.
China has maintained HQ-9 surface-to-air missile systems on Woody Island in the South China Sea s Paracel chain for more than a year and has deployed anti-ship cruise missiles to the island on at least one occasion, the report noted. Experts have said that deployment could be a blueprint for how China will proceed with its Spratly facilities.
Building a network of outposts in the South China Sea is a strategically assertive way to tilt the regional military balance in China s favor, according to a report released last year by Australia s Lowy Institute think tank entitled Shifting Waters: China s New Passive Assertiveness in Asian Maritime Security.
These strategic outposts will permit Beijing to enhance its power projection capabilities and establish anti-access zones right across the South China Sea, the report said. China will be able to extend the range and endurance of military and coast guard patrols; forward deploy air force, navy, and coast guard assets; and conduct aerial patrols over disputed waters, possibly in support of a future ADIZ (aid defense identification zone). The same report also said that a combination of ground-based radar facilities, air defenses, anti-ship missiles and forward-based fighter jets would facilitate the development of mini-denial zones extending southward from China s Hainan Island that it could use to effectively chase the U.S. Navy out of the waterway.
Monday s revelations of the near-complete construction at the three islands in the Spratlys comes ahead of plans by Japan to dispatch its largest warship on a three-month tour through the South China Sea beginning in May.
Prue Leith was forced to accept round the clock protection after accepting ‘Great British Bake Off’ role, although she didn’t think she would need it
Prue Leith was forced to accept round the clock protection after accepting ‘Great British Bake Off’ role. The 77-year-old restaurateur is set to helm the Channel 4 cooking show alongside Paul Hollywood, Noel Fielding and Sandi Tosvig, and she has admitted when the broadcasting network offered to send a close protection officer to keep an eye on her and her family, she initially refused because she didn’t think she would be “trolled” following her new role. Speaking about the changes she has had to deal with since she confirmed her judging position to The Sun Online, she said: “On the day that they announced who the line-up was, they wanted to send a close protection officer.
“My husband and a bunch of friends were going out to dinner to a really nice restaurant in London.
“I said, ‘Don’t be ridiculous, we absolutely do not need a copper standing there looking.’
“But they said, ‘No, no, no, we really must just to be on the safe side.’
“What did they think is going to happen? I’m not likely to be trolled. This is a nice family show.”
However, the ‘Great British Menu’ critic had no other choice but to accept the security measures,after she noticed the protection team had ignored her refusal and had already pitched up outside her Cotswolds home.
She continued: “When I got home that night at 11 at night, there’s a chap in a van, a security guard.
“They sent somebody down to the country to look after me.
“And they sent someone to look after my agent. I mean, who do they think I am? Do they think I’m Prince Philip or something?
“I was really amazed that they really look after you.”
Although Prue has replaced former judge Mary Berry on the show, she has revealed the pair hold no bad feelings towards the other, and the 82-year-old culinary mastermind has reached out to her to warn her about being bombarded by fans.
Speaking about Mary’s advice, Prue recalled: “[Mary said] ‘Look, if there’s a big story there might be somebody at the gate, but most people like the show. It’s quite nice walking into the supermarket and being asked: ‘Are you the lady off the telly?’ That happens to me now and I always enjoy it.'”