Reference Library – USA – Vermont
Police say three were arrested at a Daniel Webster College basketball game after a DWC player stomped on an opposing player on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017. Twenty-five officers were called to the scene. Daniel Webster forfeited the game, its first loss at home this season. (Kimberly Houghton/Union Leader Correspondent)
By SHAWNE K. WICKHAM
New Hampshire Sunday News
NASHUA – Two dozen police officers responded to Daniel Webster College to defuse a brawl that erupted during a basketball game Saturday afternoon. Two DWC players and a female spectator were arrested. The incident began when DWC player Marquise Caudill, 22, of South Hadley, Mass., assaulted a player from the other team, Southern Vermont College, according to a news release.
Caudill, a 6-foot-7 junior guard, “proceeded to stomp the downed opposing player,” police said. Officer John Hannigan was working a security detail for the game and attempted to intervene in the assault, and Caudill threatened the officer, according to the release. That’s when police said Elizabeth Morris, 43, of Malden, Mass., stood between Caudill and Hannigan, preventing the officer from making an arrest.
Another DWC player, Antwaun Boyd, 23, of Stamford, Conn., “appeared to be inciting an already hostile crowd that had now surrounded Officer Hannigan,” the release said. Hannigan called for backup, and about 25 Nashua officers responded to the college. Once the extra officers arrived, “the crowd was able to be dispersed and the entire situation de-escalated,” police said. Caudill was charged with second-degree assault (a Class B felony), simple assault, criminal threatening and disorderly conduct.
Boyd was charged with disorderly conduct and Morris was charged with obstruction of government administration. Police did not release the name of the Southern Vermont College player involved. Sgt. Joshua Albert of Nashua police said the injured player’s teammates took care of him, removing him from the area. He did not know whether he sought medical treatment.
Albert said the game ended after the fight broke out. Caudill, the team’s leading scorer this season, is being held on $50,000 cash-only bail pending arraignment. Boyd and Morris were released on bail.
Daniel Webster forfeited the game, its first loss at home this season.
This is the final season for the program after ITT Educational Services of Carmel, Ind., the parent company of DWC, said it was shutting the school down last year. Southern New Hampshire University has helped keep the school going. Under a “teach-out” arrangement, seniors will graduate with a DWC diploma; underclassmen will earn a degree from SNHU.
BURLINGTON, Vt. –
There’s a new twist in the president’s push against illegal immigration. The Associated Press has learned the Trump administration may be considering using National Guard troops in immigration
Gov. Phil Scott, R-Vermont, says that’s not how he would want to see those under his command deployed, but he’s not sure yet if it would be his decision. The White House says no governor will have to decide whether to commit his or her troops. The Associated Press reports that it obtained a draft memo written at the end of January by U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly. The memo outlines a Trump administration plan to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants. The AP says such a deployment would go far beyond previous immigration enforcement efforts involving Guard troops.
“That would be one of the most un-American things to happen in the last century,” said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York.
The concept drew swift criticism from Schumer, while President Trump’s spokesperson Sean Spicer wasted little time shooting down the accuracy of the story itself, calling the memo 100 percent not true. The 11 states that would be affected are: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.
“I would be resistant to use military force to deport,” said Scott. He says he would have to check with his lawyers, but he’s confident he could ignore an order to deploy Vermont’s men and women.
“I believe the National Guard is under my control,” said Scott.
Department of Homeland Security spokespeople say the idea never received serious consideration. Still, staff members tell The AP that as recently as last Friday, there was discussion of the proposal.
Members of the Vermont Air National Guard will return to the Green Mountain State, after serving three months in the Middle East, according to a press release. Guard officials did not give a specific date, but said members would return at the end of February. When reached by phone Wednesday afternoon, Captain Tracy Morris, spokesperson for the Air Guard, said the mission went smoothly, and there were no reported injuries. Morris said for safety and security reasons, she could not release if the airmen were flying directly home.
While overseas, members helped with air-to-ground attacks, guard officials said.
- ^ deployed (www.mychamplainvalley.com)
- ^ Vermont Air National Guard Prepares for Deployment (www.mychamplainvalley.com)
- ^ Vermont Air National Guard Gets Deployment Orders (www.mychamplainvalley.com)
- ^ Vermont Air National Guard Members to Deploy: What s Next? (www.mychamplainvalley.com)
- ^ Vermont Air National Guard Deploys Overseas to Fight ISIS (www.mychamplainvalley.com)
- ^ Vermont s Congressional Delegation Reacts to Air Guard s Deployment (www.mychamplainvalley.com)