WASHINGTON The Trump administration will approve the Keystone XL pipeline on Friday, senior U.S. officials said, ending years of delay for a project that has served as a flashpoint in the national debate about climate change. The State Department will recommend the pipeline is in U.S. interests, clearing the way for the White House to grant a presidential permit to TransCanada to build the $8 billion pipeline, two officials said. It s a sharp reversal from the Obama administration, which rejected the pipeline after deeming it contrary to national interests. The officials, who weren t authorized to speak publicly on the matter and demanded anonymity, said the State Department s recommendation and the White House s final approval would occur Friday.
The White House declined to comment, other than to say it would offer an update Friday. State Department spokesman Mark Toner wouldn t reveal the decision, but said the agency had re-examined Keystone thoroughly after ruling against the proposed project barely two years ago.
We re looking at new factors, Toner said. I don t want to speak to those until we ve reached a decision or conclusion. The 1,700-mile pipeline, as envisioned, would carry oil from tar sands in Alberta, Canada, to refineries along the Texas Gulf Coast, passing through Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma. The pipeline would move roughly 800,000 barrels of oil per day, more than one-fifth of the oil Canada exports to the United States. Oil industry advocates say the pipeline will improve U.S. energy security and create jobs, although how many is widely disputed. Calgary-based TransCanada has promised as many as 13,000 construction jobs 6,500 a year over two years but the State Department previously estimated a far smaller number. The pipeline s opponents contend the jobs will be minimal and short-lived, and say the pipeline won t help the United States with energy needs because the oil is destined for export.
President Trump has championed the pipeline and backed the idea that it will prove a job creator. In one of his first acts as president, he invited pipeline company TransCanada to resubmit the application to construct and operate the pipeline. And he had given officials until next Monday to complete a review of the project. A Trump presidential directive also required new or expanded pipelines to be built with American steel to the maximum extent possible. However, TransCanada has said Keystone won t be built with U.S. steel. The company has already acquired the steel, much of it from Canada and Mexico, and the White House has acknowledged it s too difficult to impose conditions on a pipeline already under construction. Portions of Keystone have already been built. Completing it requires a permit involving the State Department because it crosses the U.S.-Canada border.
In an unusual twist, the agency s recommendation won t come from Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. The former CEO of oil company Exxon Mobil recused himself after protests from environmental groups who said it would be a conflict of interest for Tillerson to decide the pipeline s fate. Instead, Tom Shannon, a career diplomat serving as undersecretary of state for political affairs, will sign off, officials said. Even with a presidential permit, the pipeline will still face obstacles most notably when it comes to the route, which is still being heavily litigated in the states. Native American tribes and landowners have joined environmental groups in opposing the pipeline.
Environmental groups also say the pipeline will encourage the use of carbon-heavy tar sands oil which contributes more to global warming than cleaner sources of energy. President Obama reached the same conclusion in 2015 after a negative recommendation from then-Secretary of State John Kerry.
TransCanada first applied for a permit in 2008. Years of politicking, legal wrangling and disputes over the pipeline s route preceded Obama s decision to nix the project. The various delays meant Hillary Clinton never issued a recommendation as secretary of state.
ARLINGTON, Virginia and DUBAI, UAE, March 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ —
Spire to leverage Endgame‘s automated threat hunting technology to close protection gap against advanced attackers
Endgame, a leading endpoint security platform to close the protection gap against advanced attackers, today announced that Spire Solutions, the leader in information security solutions for the Middle East, will utilize Endgame’s endpoint protection platform to stop nation state level attackers in time to prevent damage and loss. Endgame will be available to Spire’s broad client base in the Middle East, which includes 700 clients across 15 countries.
This partnership leverages Endgame’s recently-announced platform enhancements that provide continuous prevention and detection of zero days, malwareless attacks, and ransomware in time to stop information theft. Endgame’s endpoint security platform combines full stack prevention, detection, and threat hunting in a single dissolvable sensor to eliminate new and already-entrenched adversaries without prior threat intelligence.
Core to the partnership are Spire’s seasoned security analysts whose unparalleled expertise and customer service make them the security provider of choice for enterprises across the Middle East. Spire’s purpose-built services offer clients the best possible solutions, consultation, support, and training designed to help security teams streamline operations and stop attackers faster than ever before.
“Advanced attackers are waging war on the endpoint, and security teams now know that existing defensive technologies are not enough to prevent sophisticated attacks,” said Nate Fick, CEO at Endgame. “Our partnership with Spire will allow enterprises across the Middle East to access the technology necessary to disrupt the attack lifecycle prior to data theft or damage.”
Endgame is a leading endpoint security platform that transforms security operations teams and incident responders from crime scene investigators into hunters that prevent damage and loss, and dramatically reduces the time and cost associated with incident response and compromise assessment. Endgame’s platform uses machine learning and data science to prevent and detect unique attacks at the earliest and every stage of the attack lifecycle. Endgame’s integrated response stops attacks without disrupting normal business operations. For more information, visit http://www.endgame.com and follow us on Twitter @EndgameInc.
Phuket Gazette – March 21, 2017 | 06:12 PM
Police have yet to learn the cause of death. Photo: Kusoldharm Foundation
PHUKET: A 49-year-old Canadian tourist was found dead in a condo in Kathu this morning. He is believed to have been dead for at least two days before his body was discovered. Police received a report of the incident at about 11am from Plus Condo 1 .
We noticed a peculiar smell outside his room, which was on the 6th floor. When we opened the door, we found the victim s body lying face-up on the bed, Capt Wichoti Meephop of Kathu Police told Phuket Gazette reporters. Police also found a cellphone on his chest, together with a list of hospital emergency numbers. A Tripadvisor Travel Correspondent ID card was also found in his room, in addition to various medicines and vitamins.
There was blood on his face, but we found no sign of a struggle on his body, Capt Wichoti said.
We talked to a Phuket agent who helped him out during his trip. He told us that the victim had arrived in Thailand late last year and was scheduled to return to Alberta on March 31. We were also told that he had cancer.
A security guard said that he last saw the victim at 9am on Sunday. A friend came to visit him today and discovered the body, said the captain.
Police have yet to learn the cause of death as the body is being examined by doctors at Vachira Phuket Hospital. At this stage, they believe that it was due to health issues.
The Gazette is withholding the victim s name until it is confirmed that his family has been informed. The Canadian Embassy has already been notified of his death.