News by Professionals 4 Professionals

camping

Very unfortunate: Sunken barge prompts H2O crisis in Picton

Audio interview with the owner of the owner of Picton Terminals.

Canadian News | Prince Edward Island

Very Unfortunate: Sunken Barge Prompts H2O Crisis In Picton loading video…

Find Your Forecast

Digital writers
theweathernetwork.com

Thursday, March 30, 2017, 5:08 PM – Prince Edward County remains under a water emergency after fuel leaking from a partially sunken barge floated close to the Picton-Bloomfield Drinking Water System’s intake pipe. The emergency was declared Tuesday, and the Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit took a further step Thursday by issuing a boil water advisory, and the county will truck in potable water from other sources.

“Since varied water supply trucks will be used to shuttle water, the Boil Water Advisory is being implemented as a precautionary measure to reduce the risk from the possible introduction of bacteria to the drinking water system,” the latest release from the county reads.


Very Unfortunate: Sunken Barge Prompts H2O Crisis In PictonSPRING HAS SPRUNG: How will the season play out for Canadians? Find out with The Weather Network s 2017 Spring Forecast | FORECAST & MAPS HERE[1]


A precautionary boil water advisory for all customers of the Picton/Bloomfield Drinking Water System has been issued. Details below: pic.twitter.com/9sbs8mHedf[2]

Prince Edward County (@Shire_Hall) March 30, 2017[3]

The Coast Guard says about 30 litres of residual oil was released into the water. The system was temporarily shut down as a precaution Tuesday. The plant resumed operations Wednesday morning, but was soon shut down again after the “discovery of a foul odor in the Picton raw water sampling line (an early warning system),” the county says. The barge arrived in Picton from Toronto on Thursday, but by Friday morning the bow had sunk beneath the waterline, leaving the stern still afloat. A fuel sheen was observed in the area, and booms were deployed.

Authorities say it contains about 1,200 litres of fuel and 100 litres of hydraulic fluid, but the coast guard says the risk of further contamination is low.

Dusty MacKinnon[4]

You can smell it, and see it. And a lot of it. MacFarland conservation area just outside picton. We just took these at 5pm today march 28th 2017

“The remaining diesel and oil on the barge is in double-walled, self-contained tanks and the integrity of the hull is not compromised,” the coast guard says. “The pollutant released was residual oil and no further release has occurred since Friday.”

Picton Terminals owner Hank Doornekamp told The Weather Network efforts to raise the barge had been complicated by the fact it was located further from the shore than the on-site crane could reach, requiring the deployment of a larger crane from Toronto.

“That crane is now on site, and this afternoon we’re hoping to tie onto it and see what we can do,” he said.

Doornekamp said there had been rumours going around that the barge had been carrying trucks and other materials, and stressed that this was not the case.

“We are transporting truckloads of materials on a similar sized barge to Amherst island,” he explained. “As soon as this incident occurred, social media allowed itself to assume that that was the barge that went down, to create a little more alarm, of course.”

Michael David Hymus[5]

Public Alert | Submerged Barge in Picton Bay Leaking Oil – Please Share –> To add to the already nightmarish situation of literally tons of salt pouring into the Picton Bay the County is now facing…

A spring storm[6] arrived Thursday into Friday for southern Ontario and could pose a problem for officials, as the booms are not designed to perform in choppy waters.

“Sustained winds of up to 40 km/h are expected for the area, with some gusts over the lake approaching 50-70 km/h,” says The Weather Network meteorologist Matt Grinter. “This may cause large waves and choppy waters to develop.”

SOURCE: Prince Edward County | Canadian Coast Guard | CBC | Thumbnail[7][8][9][10]

With files from Leeanna McLean, Daksha Rangan and Daniel Martins.

You May Also Like

References

  1. ^ FORECAST & MAPS HERE (www.theweathernetwork.com)
  2. ^ pic.twitter.com/9sbs8mHedf (t.co)
  3. ^ March 30, 2017 (twitter.com)
  4. ^ Dusty MacKinnon (www.facebook.com)
  5. ^ Michael David Hymus (www.facebook.com)
  6. ^ A spring storm (www.theweathernetwork.com)
  7. ^ Prince Edward County (thecounty.ca)
  8. ^ Canadian Coast Guard (www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca)
  9. ^ CBC (www.cbc.ca)
  10. ^ Thumbnail (www.facebook.com)

Iran strikes back at US with ‘reciprocal’ sanctions

Iran on Sunday sanctioned what it described as 15 American companies, alleging they support terrorism, repression and Israel’s occupation of land Palestinians want for a future state, likely in retaliation for sanctions earlier announced by the U.S. The wide-ranging list from an American real estate company to a major arms manufacturer appeared more symbolic than anything else as the firms weren’t immediately known to be doing business anywhere in the Islamic Republic. A Foreign Ministry statement carried by the state-run IRNA news agency said the sanctions barred companies from any agreements with Iranian firms and that former and current directors would not be eligible for visas. It also said any of the company’s assets in Iran could be seized.

“The sanctioned companies have, directly and/or indirectly, been involved in the brutal atrocities committed by the Zionist regime in the occupied Palestinian territories, or they have supported the regime’s terrorist activities and Israel’s development of Zionist settlements on the Palestinian soil,” the IRNA report said.

The IRNA report referred to the sanctions as a “reciprocal act,” without elaborating. Iran’s new sanctions comes after the Trump administration in February sanctioned more than two dozen people and companies in retaliation for a recent ballistic missile test. The companies named did not immediately respond to requests for comment Sunday. They included ITT Corp., missile-maker Raytheon Co. and United Technologies Corp. Denver’s Re/Max Holdings Inc., a real estate company, also made the list. Another firm on the list, truck maker Oshkosh, has worked closely with Israeli armored products maker Plasan, including on the Sand Cat armored vehicle that is used by several countries, including Israel. The Israeli Defense Ministry is reportedly seeking to buy some 200 tactical trucks from the Oshkosh, Wisconsin-based company.

Kahr Arms and Magnum Research, two sanctioned firms which share the same parent company, advertise .44-caliber Magnum and .50-caliber “Desert Eagle” pistols a product line that previously has been made in Israel. Meanwhile, a senior Iranian lawmaker said Iran would consider a bill branding the U.S. military and the CIA as terrorist groups if the U.S. Congress passes a bill designating Iran’s Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization. Allaeddin Boroujerdi, the head of parliament’s national security and foreign policy committee, was quoted by Iranian state television as saying the move to further sanction the Revolutionary Guard goes against the 2015 nuclear deal Iran reached with the United States and other world powers.

The nuclear deal saw Iran agree to limit its enrichment of uranium in exchange for the lifting of some economic sanctions. In the time since, Chicago-based Boeing Co. has struck a $16.6 billion deal with Iran for passenger planes. Tehran and Washington have had no diplomatic relations since 1979, when militant students stormed the U.S. Embassy and took 52 Americans hostages for 444 days. Tensions eased slightly with the nuclear deal struck by moderate President Hassan Rouhani’s administration, though hard-liners have detained those with Western ties in the time since. Sunday’s sanctions announcement also comes ahead of a May presidential election in which Rouhani is expected to seek re-election.

Iran imposes sanctions on 15 US firms

Iran said Sunday it has imposed sanctions on 15 American companies over their alleged support for Israel, terrorism and repression in the region. A Foreign Ministry statement carried by the state-run IRNA news agency said the companies are barred from any agreements with Iranian firms and that former and current directors will not be eligible for visas. The move is seen as a response to U.S. sanctions placed on dozens of Iranian entities in February following an Iranian missile test. Iran’s sanctions are unlikely to have much impact as none of the targeted U.S. companies are known to do business in Iran.

The companies include Bent Tal, United Technologies Products. ITT Corporation, Raytheon, Re/Max Real Estate, Magnum Research Inc., Oshkosh Corporation, Kahr Arms and Elbit Systems. A senior Iranian lawmaker meanwhile said Iran would consider a bill branding the U.S. military and the CIA as terrorist groups if the U.S. Congress passes a bill designating Iran’s Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization. Such moves could heighten tensions in Iraq and Syria, where Iranian-backed forces and a U.S.-led coalition are battling the Islamic State group.

Allaeddin Boroujerdi, the head of parliament’s national security and foreign policy committee, was quoted by state TV as saying the move to further sanction the Revolutionary Guard goes against the 2015 nuclear deal Iran reached with the United States and other world powers.

Tehran and Washington have had no diplomatic relations since 1979, when militant students stormed the U.S. Embassy and took 52 Americans hostages for 444 days.

1 2 3 6