News by Professionals 4 Professionals

events

Prue Leith receives round the clock security protection

Prue Leith was forced to accept round the clock protection after accepting ‘Great British Bake Off’ role, although she didn’t think she would need it

Prue Leith Receives Round The Clock Security Protection

Prue Leith

Prue Leith was forced to accept round the clock protection after accepting ‘Great British Bake Off’ role. The 77-year-old restaurateur is set to helm the Channel 4 cooking show alongside Paul Hollywood, Noel Fielding and Sandi Tosvig, and she has admitted when the broadcasting network offered to send a close protection officer to keep an eye on her and her family, she initially refused because she didn’t think she would be “trolled” following her new role. Speaking about the changes she has had to deal with since she confirmed her judging position to The Sun Online, she said: “On the day that they announced who the line-up was, they wanted to send a close protection officer.

“My husband and a bunch of friends were going out to dinner to a really nice restaurant in London.

“I said, ‘Don’t be ridiculous, we absolutely do not need a copper standing there looking.’

“But they said, ‘No, no, no, we really must just to be on the safe side.’

“What did they think is going to happen? I’m not likely to be trolled. This is a nice family show.”

However, the ‘Great British Menu’ critic had no other choice but to accept the security measures,after she noticed the protection team had ignored her refusal and had already pitched up outside her Cotswolds home.

She continued: “When I got home that night at 11 at night, there’s a chap in a van, a security guard.

“They sent somebody down to the country to look after me.

“And they sent someone to look after my agent. I mean, who do they think I am? Do they think I’m Prince Philip or something?

“I was really amazed that they really look after you.”

Although Prue has replaced former judge Mary Berry on the show, she has revealed the pair hold no bad feelings towards the other, and the 82-year-old culinary mastermind has reached out to her to warn her about being bombarded by fans.

Speaking about Mary’s advice, Prue recalled: “[Mary said] ‘Look, if there’s a big story there might be somebody at the gate, but most people like the show. It’s quite nice walking into the supermarket and being asked: ‘Are you the lady off the telly?’ That happens to me now and I always enjoy it.'”

Tighter security for Windsor Castle guards’ ceremony after Westminster attack

Security has been enhanced around Windsor Castle ahead of the Changing The Guard ceremony following the Westminster terror attack. Barriers were put in place around the royal residence in Berkshire on Monday evening to support existing road closures, Thames Valley Police said. The force said the changes were proportionate and necessary but that there was no specific threat to Windsor ahead of the next Changing The Guard on Wednesday.

Assistant Chief Constable Dave Hardcastle said: While there is no intelligence to indicate a specific threat to Windsor, recent events in Westminster clearly highlight the need for extra security measures to be introduced.

The force believes that it is proportionate and necessary to put in place extra security measures to further protect and support the public and the guard change. This is consistent with security deployments in London.

Preventative measures such as these have been put in place across the UK over the past 10 years at various events.

The national threat level remains severe, which it has been since 2014, and I would urge the public to be alert to the threat of terror attacks but not alarmed, and to remain vigilant.

Tighter Security For Windsor Castle Guards' Ceremony After Westminster AttackChanging of the Guard takes place at Windsor Castle during March and April (Steve Parsons/PA)

The colourful military spectacle takes place at Windsor Castle on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in March and every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday in April, weather permitting. Tourists flock to see soldiers in their red tunics and bearskins processing to and from the historic building to the sound of a military band. The new barriers will only be used to secure the route of the procession during the event and will remain open at other times.

NV: Police Arrest ‘Delusional’ Man on Strip Following a Fatal Bus Shooting

March 25–An apparently “delusional” man indiscriminately opened fire inside a bus on the Strip this morning, killing one person, wounding another, and barricading himself inside the vehicle, prompting authorities to shut down a stretch of the Strip for several hours while officers negotiated his surrender, according to Metro Police.

Police stressed that the shooting, which transpired on the second floor of a Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada bus, was isolated and wasn’t thought to have a nexus to terrorism. Officers, who arrived at the scene near the Cosmopolitan almost immediately after the rounds went off about 10:45 a.m., encountered fleeing passengers and quickly determined the suspect was still on the bus, Metro Assistant Sheriff Tom Roberts said. The two wounded people, who were believed to be unknown to the gunman, were rushed to University Medical Center where one of them died and the other, who was shot once in the stomach, is expected to recover, Roberts said.

What followed–for more than four hours–were attempted negotiations with the suspect, who as of this evening had not been formally identified, police said. At least one loud bang not attributable to gunfire was reported during the standoff. During the standoff, the suspect fired off more rounds as officers sent robots to the bus, Roberts said, but officers did not return fire. Then about 3:15 p.m., negotiators convinced the man to drop his .45-caliber handgun and peacefully surrender, Roberts said. No one else was inside the bus.

Metro’s tactical phase has been completed at that point and the probe was turned over to homicide detectives, police said. Metro spokesman officer Larry Hadfield urged those in or around the bus during the shooting to contact police at 702-828-7777. Further details on the suspect, only described as being a local in his 50s and “delusional,” hadn’t been released as of Saturday evening. Roberts said he “didn’t seem to have a motive” for firing his gun. Photographs captured the man, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, jeans, flip flops and a light orange cap, being hauled off by heavily-armed SWAT officers wearing helmets and carrying shields.

Traffic was shut down on Las Vegas Boulevard between Flamingo Road and Harmon Avenue. Northbound traffic reopened soon after the suspect surrendered and the rest of the closures were lifted about 5:20 p.m., RTC said. Sidewalks near the incident also were closed to foot traffic, marking one of the rare occasions when the Strip was empty of pedestrians and cars alike. And during the standoff and sometime after, hotel and casino patrons trapped between the perimeter were not allowed to exit through the front doors, police said. Standing in a denim jacket with her hands folded across her chest, Cosmopolitan guest Remy Camacho, 47, walked across the casino from a slot machine where she was seated at the north end of the venue to step outside just after 5 p.m.

The main entrance at the time remained guarded by a set of chairs and a security guard who said “negative” when asked if he knew when it would reopen. Camacho said she hadn’t been given any news of the barricade outside by the resort, but “could live with” not going out the front door for the afternoon. She expressed concerns for proximity of the shooting to where she was enjoying her Las Vegas vacation.

“That’s kind of scary that it happened right here,” said Camacho, who lives in San Diego. “What’s to stop someone from coming inside and doing that?”

Foot traffic on Las Vegas Boulevard near the site of the barricade had both tourists and locals alike grumbling impatiently as they tried to navigate through heavy crowds. Walking north past the Linq minutes after the suspect was reported captured, Las Vegans Hannah Savage, 24 and Amanda Pearla, 25, compared the jammed pedestrian flow to that of the year’s busiest summer weekends on the Strip and even New Year’s Eve.

“It’s definitely not this hard to get around normally,” said Savage, a 15-year Las Vegas resident.

“At this time, we can confirm Las Vegas Metro Police Department is investigating an ongoing incident on Las Vegas Boulevard near The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas,” the Cosmopolitan said in a statement. “We are cooperating fully with law enforcement officials and have no further details pending investigation.” The Cosmopolitan said the safety of their guests was a top priority.

“Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family of the rider who was fatally shot, and we also extend our sincere sympathies to the injured victim, the bus operator and the other passengers who were aboard during this tragic incident,” Angela Castro, a spokeswoman for the RTC, said in a statement. “The safety and security of our transit riders, contractors and staff is our utmost priority. We are working closely with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and remain committed to providing a safe public transportation system.”

Police stressed that the incident wasn’t connected to a Hollywood-film-like heist at a high-end jewelry store at the nearby Bellagio about 10 hours earlier, police said.

Clark County Fire Department command staff responded to the scene with Metro, fire officials said in a statement.

___ (c)2017 the Las Vegas Sun (Las Vegas, Nev.) Visit the Las Vegas Sun (Las Vegas, Nev.) at www.lasvegassun.com Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

1 2 3 628