News by Professionals 4 Professionals

maine

State Department website removes article touting history of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate

The State Department on Monday removed from its website an article about the history and lavish furnishings of President Trump s privately owned Florida resort club Mar-a-Lago, following questions about whether the federal government improperly promoted Trump s moneymaking enterprises. Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) pointed to the travelogue-style blog piece[1] Monday, asking in a Twitter message why the State Department would spend taxpayer $$ promoting the president s private country club. The State Department issued a statement Monday apologizing for any misperception.

[Are President Trump s trips to Mar-a-Lago similar to Obama s travels?[2]]

The intention of the article was to inform the public about where the president has been hosting world leaders, the statement said.

It was not clear whether the item had been vetted for legal or ethical concerns. The short item had been posted on a travel promotional website called Share America on April 4, ahead of Trump s meeting at Mar-a-Lago with Chinese President Xi Jinping[3]. A version of the item was recently reposted on the website maintained by the U.S. Embassy in London, where it caught the attention of watchdog groups. The item adopted Trump s term winter White House for the members-only club. It did not expressly encourage foreigners to visit Mar-a-Lago, although other articles on the same website actively promote U.S. tourism. The item did note that the estate is located at the heart of Florida s Palm Beach community.

By visiting this winter White House, Trump is belatedly fulfilling the dream of Mar-a-Lago s original owner and designer, the item read. The ornate Jazz Age house was designed with Old-World Spanish, Venetian and Portuguese influences and filled with original owner Marjorie Merriweather Post s collection of antiques, the article noted.

The item included photographs of the house and sumptuous interiors, and copies of Trump tweets mentioning Mar-a-Lago.

[What restaurant inspectors found wrong in Trump s Mar-a-Lago kitchen[4]]

The article gave a brief summary of the 1927 mansion s history, including Post s desire that it be used by U.S. presidents as a retreat and the subsequent decision by the U.S. government that the property was too expensive to maintain. Trump bought it in 1985.

After refurbishing the house and adding an events space, Trump opened the estate to dues-paying members of the public in 1995 as the Mar-a-Lago Club, the State Department item read. Post s dream of a winter White House came true with Trump s election in 2016. Trump regularly works out of the house he maintains at Mar-a-Lago and uses the club to host foreign dignitaries. One watchdog group, American Oversight, called for an investigation by the State Department inspector general and said it would request public records documenting how the blog post was created. The State Department describes the Share America site as its platform for sharing compelling stories and images that spark discussion and debate on important topics like democracy, freedom of expression, innovation, entrepreneurship, education, and the role of civil society.

The site is produced by the department s Bureau of International Information Programs, which produces material distributed by U.S. embassies.

Read more:

Trump has spent one out of every five minutes of his presidency in Palm Beach[5]

Coast Guard faces growing costs for protecting Trump s Mar-a-Lago[6]

A fake diplomatic cable has the State Department fuming[7]

References

  1. ^ travelogue-style blog piece (share.america.gov)
  2. ^ www.washingtonpost.com (www.washingtonpost.com)
  3. ^ www.washingtonpost.com (www.washingtonpost.com)
  4. ^ www.washingtonpost.com (www.washingtonpost.com)
  5. ^ www.washingtonpost.com (www.washingtonpost.com)
  6. ^ www.washingtonpost.com (www.washingtonpost.com)
  7. ^ www.washingtonpost.com (www.washingtonpost.com)

J&J, Bayer Accused of Hiding Blood-Thinning Drug’s Flaws

Joseph Boudreaux says taking Johnson & Johnson[1] s blood-thinning drug Xarelto was one of the biggest mistakes of his life. While Xarelto[2] was supposed to help cut his stroke risk, Boudreaux says it instead caused internal bleeding that required a week-long hospital stay in the intensive-care unit, several blood transfusions and multiple heart procedures. I don t want anybody else to suffer like I have from that drug, the part-time security guard says. On Monday, Boudreaux urged a New Orleans jury to hold J&J and Bayer AG[3], which jointly developed Xarelto, responsible for the treatment s potentially fatal side effects, in the first lawsuit targeting the medicine to go to trial.

The companies are facing more than 18,000 U.S. patient suits blaming the blood thinner for internal bleeding. The medicine also has been linked to at least 370 deaths[4], according to U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports.

Top Seller

The drug is Bayer s top-selling product, generating $3.24 billion in sales (3 billion euros) last year and $2.5 billion (2.3 billion euros) in 2015 for the Leverkusen, Germany based pharmaceutical company. Xarelto is J&J s third-largest seller, bringing in $2.29 billion in 2016 as the New Brunswick, New Jersey, company seeks to replace revenue from its Remicade arthritis treatment, which lost patent protection a year ago.

J&J, Bayer Accused Of Hiding Blood-Thinning Drug's Flaws

Boudreaux s case is the first of four suits overseen by U.S. District Judge Eldon Fallon in New Orleans slated for trial over the next three months.

The allegations made in the Xarelto lawsuits contradict years of data on the medicine and the FDA s determination of its safety and efficacy, said William Foster, a spokesman for J&J s Janssen unit that sells the drug in the U.S. Bayer says that while there are some patient complaints, Xarelto s bleeding risks are fully outlined on the medicine s warning label and well known by prescribing doctors. Bayer stands behind the safety and efficacy of Xarelto, and will vigorously defend it, spokeswoman Astrid Kranz said in an emailed statement. U.S. regulators approved Xarelto in 2011 to prevent blood clots in users undergoing knee and hip surgeries. The drug s use has been extended to patients, such as Boudreaux, who suffer from irregular heartbeats and are at high risk of stroke.

Xarelto belongs to a new class of drugs aimed at replacing Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.[5] s Coumadin, which has thinned patients blood since the 1960s. Other new thinners include Pradaxa made by Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH[6], a German company that paid $650 million[7] in 2014 to settle thousands of suits claiming it hid the medicine s bleeding risks.

No Antidote

J&J and Bayer are accused of falsely marketing Xarelto as more effective at preventing strokes than Coumadin and easier to use, because Xarelto patients didn t need frequent blood tests. Lawyers for Boudreaux and other former Xarelto patients stress the drug has no antidote, so it puts some users at high risk for bleeding out if they suffer an injury. Coumadin s blood-thinning effects can be stemmed. J&J and Bayer officials should have warned consumers they could be tested to gauge their Xarelto bleed-out risk, patients attorneys claim. Financial concerns ruled out such disclosures, Brian Barr[8], one of Boudreaux s lawyers, told jurors in open statements Monday. The test that would identify people at high risk was inconsistent with the marketing plan they came up with, he said. The business plan came first.

J&J and Bayer point to the FDA s finding that Xarelto is safe and effective for patients seeking to avoid stroke-causing clots to buttress claims the drug doesn t pose undue risks, according to court papers. They also say millions of users have taken the drug without suffering bleeding side effects. The pharmaceutical makers also argue Boudreaux and other patients can t prove doctors would have avoided prescribing the drug even if they d had the kind of bleeding warnings sought by the plaintiffs, according to court filings. Xarelto s label is adequate as a matter of law, the companies attorneys said. The companies also dispute the validity of the safety test designed to gauge Xarelto users bleeding risks, saying in court filings that the test didn t provide useful information to doctors. We don t believe it s a safety test because it doesn t work with this particular drug,” Beth Wilkinson[9], a lawyer for both companies, said in opening statements Monday.

Bellwether Case

The most important business stories of the day. Get Bloomberg’s daily newsletter. Boudreaux s case serves as a bellwether to help decide the strength of the Xarelto claims, said David Logan, a mass-tort law professor at Roger Williams University[10] in Rhode Island. Fallon will allow a number of such trials to see if jurors rule for patients and award damages, Williams said. Once the results are in, the parties may feel more confident about whether to settle the remaining claims, he said.

Xarelto cases filed in federal courts around the U.S. have been consolidated before Fallon while other suits are awaiting trials in state courts in Pennsylvania and Delaware. Fallon previously oversaw suits against Merck & Co. targeting its Vioxx painkiller that resulted in a $4.85 billion settlement[11].

Judge Fallon has been through the process several times, said Carl Tobias, who teaches product-liability law at the University of Richmond in Virginia. He knows how to get suits to trial that will give the companies and plaintiffs a good feel for what these cases are worth.

The cases are Boudreaux v. Janssen, 14-cv-2720, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, and In RE Xarelto Products Liability Litigation, 14-MD-2592, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (New Orleans).

References

  1. ^ Company Overview (www.bloomberg.com)
  2. ^ Drug s Web Site (www.xarelto-us.com)
  3. ^ Company Overview (www.bloomberg.com)
  4. ^ Web Site With FDA Side-Effect Data (www.ismp.org)
  5. ^ Company Overview (www.bloomberg.com)
  6. ^ Company Overview (www.bloomberg.com)
  7. ^ Boehringer Pays $650 Million to Settle Blood-Thinner Suits (2) (www.bloomberg.com)
  8. ^ Lawyer s Web Site (www.levinlaw.com)
  9. ^ Lawyer s Web Site (wilkinsonwalsh.com)
  10. ^ Company Overview (www.bloomberg.com)
  11. ^ Merck to Pay $4.85 Billion to Resolve Vioxx Claims (Update4) (www.bloomberg.com)

Bill O’Reilly’s replacement Tucker Carlson beat up a gay guy who ‘bothered’ him

Tucker Carlson Bil Browning

If you thought Bill O Reilly being replaced at Fox News was perhaps a step in the right direction, think again. Tucker Carlson, the dude tapped to replace O Reilly, once bragged on national television about the time he and a buddy beat up a gay man in a bathroom. That s right, people. Fox News is trading it its alleged resident sexual harasser for an admitted resident gay basher. Yippee!

In 2007, back when George W. Bush was still president, DADT[1] was still firmly in place, and marriage equality[2] was years away from becoming the law of the land, Carlson went on MSNBC Live to brag about the time he beat up a gay man in a bathroom.

Having sex in a public men s room is outrageous, Carlson said. It s also really common. Then he added, I ve been bothered in men s rooms.

Carlson went on to explain that the incident happened back when he was in high school and living in Washington, D.C. s Georgetown Park neighborhood.

People should knock that off, Carlson ranted. I m not anti-gay in the slightest, but that s really common, and the gay rights groups ought to disavow that kind of crap because, you know, that actually does bother people who didn t ask for being bothered. When another guest on the show asked Carlson how he responded, he replied, I went back with someone I knew and grabbed the guy by the you know and grabbed him and hit him against the stall with his head, actually. And then the cops came and arrested him. Did you catch that? Carlson left the premises to find a friend. Then the two of them returned to the scene to beat the guy up. And then they called the police.

He concluded by saying, But let me say that I m the least anti-gay right-winger you ll ever meet. After the segment aired, Carlson issued a statement to Media Matters[3] clarifying what happened, in which he tried toning down the gash bashing part by saying he and his friend merely seized the man who had come onto him:

Let me be clear about an incident I referred to on MSNBC last night: In the mid-1980s, while I was a high school student, a man physically grabbed me in a men s room in Washington, DC. I yelled, pulled away from him and ran out of the room. Twenty-five minutes later, a friend of mine and I returned to the men s room. The man was still there, presumably waiting to do to someone else what he had done to me. My friend and I seized the man and held him until a security guard arrived. Several bloggers have characterized this is a sort of gay bashing. That s absurd, and an insult to anybody who has fought back against an unsolicited sexual attack. I wasn t angry with the man because he was gay. I was angry because he assaulted me.

Get ready, folks. This is the guy who will now be poisoning the thoughts of all your crazy uncles, reclusive grandfathers, and unsupportive in-laws every night on television.

This Story Filed Under

References

  1. ^ DADT (www.lgbtqnation.com)
  2. ^ marriage equality (www.lgbtqnation.com)
  3. ^ Media Matters (mediamatters.org)
  4. ^ Share on Facebook (www.facebook.com)
  5. ^ Share on Twitter (twitter.com)
1 2 3 934