News by Professionals 4 Professionals

maps

Airport security in mind as summer travel season gets underway

Airport Security In Mind As Summer Travel Season Gets Underway

Hancock Airport (CNY Central File Photo

SYRACUSE, N.Y.

With several recent terrorist attacks around the world, some summer travelers are thinking of safety when using the nation’s airports.

“There’s just something in the back of my head that says be careful, but that’s not going to stop me,” said Constance Darling, who flew into Hancock Airport in Syracuse from Lake Tahoe. “I’m coming here to see family and that’s not going to stop me.”

Just in Syracuse, Transportation Security Administration officials expects more than 3,600 people a day to move through the security check points. Officials say they base security on known U.S. intelligence and every security hurdle for travelers is necessary. They stress that keeping the security process moving smoothly along at airports is a big help, so passengers should be mindful of what items are in their baggage and be aware of the rules of what can and can’t be taken on a plane.

“Please do your part. Be aware of threat that we’re living in. Be aware that the bad guys are out there trying do us harm and take it very, very seriously. And when you pack, please be knowledgeable in what you pack.”

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard strikes Syria for Tehran attacks

by NASSER KARIMI, ASSOCIATED PRESS

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Strikes Syria For Tehran Attacks

Iran s Revolutionary Guard released this photo July 10, 2008 of four launched from an undisclosed site in the Iranian desert. (PHOTO: Iranian Revolutionary Guard)

TEHRAN, Iran (AP)

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said Sunday it launched missiles into eastern Syria targeting Islamic State militants in response to an attack on Iran’s parliament and a shrine in Tehran, warning that it would similarly retaliate on anyone else carrying out attacks in Iran.

The launch of surface-to-surface medium range missiles into Syria’s Deir el-Zour province comes as Islamic State militants fleeing a U.S.-led coalition onslaught increasingly try to fortify their positions there. Activists in Syria said they had no immediate information on damage or casualties from the strikes, launched from Iran’s Kurdistan and Kermanshah provinces. Social media was awash in shaky mobile phone footage from those areas, allegedly showing the missiles rise in an orange glow before heading toward their targets. Sunday’s assault marked an extremely rare direct attack from the Islamic Republic amid its support for embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad. Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, a hard-line paramilitary force, has seen advisers and fighters killed in the conflict.

A Guard statement carried on its website said many “terrorists” were killed and their weapons had been destroyed in the strike. The Guard warned Islamic State militants and their “regional and international supporters” that similar retaliatory attacks would target them as well if another assault in Iran occurs. Activists in Syria did not immediately have information about the Iranian-claimed strikes. Deir el-Zour is home to both Islamic State militants and civilians.

Five Islamic State-linked attackers stormed Iran’s parliament and a shrine to revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on June 7, killing at least 17 people and wounding more than 50. That attack marked the first to hit Iran, shocking its residents who believed the chaos engulfing the rest of the Middle East would not find them in the Shiite-majority nation. Iran has described the attackers as being “long affiliated with the Wahhabi,” an ultraconservative form of Sunni Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia. However, it stopped short of directly blaming the kingdom for the attack, though many in the country expressed suspicion Iran’s regional rival had a hand in the attack.

The attack also came as emboldened Sunni Arab states backed by U.S. President Donald Trump are hardening their stance against Iran.

___

Associated Press writers Jon Gambrell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Sarah El Deeb in Beirut contributed to this report.

Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke rejects Homeland Security position

Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke Rejects Homeland Security Position

FILE – In this July 18, 2016 file photo, Milwaukee County, Wis. Sheriff David Clarke speaks at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. Clarke says he’s taken a job as an assistant secretary in the Homeland Security Department. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File)

MILWAUKEE (AP) The Department of Homeland Security says Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke is no longer a candidate for a position in the agency.
[1]

The conservative firebrand said last month he was taking a job as an assistant secretary at the DHS. But Craig Peterson, a political adviser to Clarke, said in a statement that the sheriff notified DHS Secretary John Kelly late Friday that he “had rescinded his acceptance of the agency’s offer” to join DHS.

Clarke[2] is known for his vocal support of President Donald Trump. The tough-talking sheriff says he “believes his skills could be better utilized to promote the President’s agenda in a more aggressive role.”

A DHS spokesman said by email Sunday that Clarke is no longer being considered for a position within DHS, though the agency had never confirmed Clarke’s appointment.

The Washington Post first reported on Clarke’s decision.

References

  1. ^ David Clarke (wjla.com)
  2. ^ Clarke (wjla.com)
1 2 3 69