The above video includes footage that may be disturbing to watch.
The family of an Arkansas man is suing the jail he died in, claiming he was denied adequate medical care. Michael Sabbie died in 2015, just days after he was locked up at the bi-state justice center. He had been arrested over a verbal dispute with his wife. Sabbie’s attorney gave CBS News videos from inside the jail that appear to show the state he was in about 12 hours before he was found dead. CBS News hasn’t been able to independently confirm the videos.
Sabbie’s family says the jail knew he had serious medical conditions and failed to get him proper help when he was clearly struggling, reports CBS News correspondent Omar Villafranca. Surveillance video given to CBS News from Sabbie’s attorney appears to show a security guard at the justice center throw Sabbie to the ground.
According to the lawsuit, Sabbie wasn’t feeling well and had stopped to lean against the wall before attempting to enter the booking area to make a phone call.
A second video, taken by a jail employee, purportedly shows what happens after Sabbie is on the floor. He’s held down by six guards and pepper-sprayed, brought to a jail nurse for less than a minute, rinsed off and returned to his cell.
During the nine-and-a-half minute video, Sabbie says he can’t breathe at least 19 times and asks for water.
The next morning, jail guards found the 35-year-old dead on his jail cell floor.
“He is a medically-vulnerable person. So he reported at intake that he had hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and asthma,” said Erik Heipt, who is representing Sabbie’s family in the lawsuit against the jail filed earlier this week.
The suit claims jail staff didn’t give Sabbie his medications, ignored his labored breathing and used excessive force.
LaSalle Corrections runs this privately-owned jail and 17 other facilities across four states.
They said they do not make comments on pending litigation, but told a local news station last October that they comply with Texas Jail Commission standards.
Heipt says the family wants justice and answers for the father of four.
“They want to expose what happened in the hopes that this sort of thing doesn’t happen to anyone else,” Heipt said.
According to jail protocol, somebody was supposed to check on Sabbie every 30 minutes overnight. The suit claims that a guard said she did and then later admitted to lying.
2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
As CBS2 s Tony Aiello reported, the man Pano Kumar Varanasi was charged with criminal trespass. Varanasi, 41, had been visiting family in New Jersey from India. Police said they were able to track Varanasi to his brother s home in New Jersey. He came back to the airport voluntarily and was arrested, WCBS 880 s Marla Diamond reported. On Tuesday night, Varanasi allegedly caused a security breach apparently unintentionally. He walked into the Terminal B secure area through an exit right past a Transportation Security Administration agent who was supposed to stop him but did not.
Surveillance video shows the agent looking on.
He has a bulge under his sweatshirt which clearly causes serious concern, said security expert Anthony Roman. For a critical checkpoint like this, it s just unforgivable. According to the TSA, the guard on duty at the time is facing disciplinary action and may lose her job. This wasn t the only slip-up in the chain of events Tuesday, CBS2 s Magdalena Doris reported. Sources said there was a delay in getting this critical information to Port Authority police, who determined the terminal had to be cleared, searched for bombs and each passenger rescreened.
Port Authority police issued an alert for officers to be on the look out for Varanasi and scoured surveillance video which helped them match the man with an airplane ticket, Doris reported. They determined Varanasi was a passenger from India in the area to visit family and that he was confused as he walked through the exit, Doris said. Police said Varanasi is cooperating with the investigation. The breach raises serious concern and Roman says it could serve as an example for terrorists of what works.
It is just as useful for terror cells planning attacks to observe weak points in that fashion as it is to run dry runs themselves, he said.
People at the airport Thursday were disappointed in the situation.
It s terrible see something like this because you don t know their intentions, said Zach Fritzhand. And it just goes to show that you never know what the person to your left or right s going to do.
If his job is to keep people from passing through and someone passed through, yeah, that s an issue, said Quentin Hardy. U.S. Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) issued a letter to the TSA demanding an explanation of what happened on behalf of the Homeland Security committee, calling the security breach extremely serious.
We saw what happened in Manchester, King said. We have to constantly be on our guard, and this was a breach that has to be explained and corrected. King said terrorists could easily take advantage of a lax security situation.
We have to have ironclad security, because ISIS is probing; they re looking. They will see an incident like this, by the way, and try to take advantage of it, he said.
Late Thursday, Varanasi s wife and sister-in-law were at Queens Criminal Court waiting for his arraignment. They declined comment. Varanasi is described as cooperative with police. He told investigators he got confused after flying to LaGuardia from Detroit, and didn t realize he was breaching security. The incident comes as the TSA is testing stricter policies at 10 airports nationwide, now asking passengers to remove items like food, paper and electronics bigger than a cell phone from their carry-ons into a separate bin.
Airport security expert Marshall McClain warns the process will cause back-ups and won t likely act as a deterrent.
To truly have something to deter, you re still going to have to have armed police officers to do that rather than worrying about whether people have too many papers in their luggage, he said. The TSA has not yet extended that pilot program to airports in the New York area. Meanwhile, President Donald Trump s proposed budget eliminates funding for TSA agents at airport exit lanes. Many in Congress said they will fight to keep that $77 million in the budget.
The U.S. Navy has sailed within 12 nautical miles of one of China s man-made islands in the disputed South China Sea the first so-called freedom of navigation patrol under the administration of President Donald Trump a report said Thursday. The operation, which involved the USS Dewey, a guided-missile destroyer, was conducted Wednesday around Mischief Reef in the Spratly chain of the strategic waterway, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing anonymous U.S. officials. Freedom of navigation patrols (FONOPS) represent a challenge to excessive maritime claims, according to the U.S. Defense Department. The significance of 12 nautical miles marker derives from the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), which generally grants coastal states jurisdiction over a 12-nautical mile territorial sea emanating from a coast.
In a statement to The Japan Times, the Pentagon refused to confirm or deny the report. However, photos posted to an official social media account of the USS Dewey appeared to show the vessel transiting the South China Sea.
We are continuing regular FONOPS, as we have routinely done in the past and will continue to do in the future, Defense Department spokesman Cmdr. Gary Ross said. Summaries of these operations will be released publicly in the annual FONOPS report, and not sooner. The most recent annual FONOPS report was published in February.
Ross said U.S. forces operate in the Asia-Pacific region on a daily basis, including in the South China Sea, adding that these operations are conducted in accordance with international law and demonstrate that the United States will fly, sail, and operate wherever international law allow. The move is likely to anger China, which despite a pledge to the contrary, has continued to militarize the waters as it seeks to reinforce effective control of much of the waterway, through which $5 trillion in trade passes each year. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also have overlapping claims. China has built seven man-made islets in the hotly contested Spratlys, with three boasting military-grade airfields including Mischief Reef despite a 2015 vow by Chinese President Xi Jinping not to further militarize them. Beijing has called the moves purely defensive.
Ross, however, said any operation was not focused on a single nation.
FONOPS are not about any one country, nor are they about making political statements, Ross said. In FY 2016, we conducted FONOPS challenging excessive maritime claims of 22 coastal states, including allies and partners. A think tank reported in late March that major construction at three of China s large man-made islands in the Spratly s had wrapped up, allowing Beijing to deploy fighter jets and mobile missile launchers to the area at any time. The building of military and dual-use infrastructure on the so-called Big 3 islands in the contested Spratly chain Subi, Mischief and Fiery Cross reefs had reached the final stages, with the naval, air, radar and defensive facilities largely complete, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI).
All three islands boast hangers that can accommodate 24 fighter jets and four larger planes, including surveillance, transport, refueling or bomber aircraft. Hardened shelters with retractable roofs for mobile missile launchers have also been built on the three.
China has also constructed significant radar and sensor arrays on all three islands, positioning them close to point defense structures to provide protection against air or missile strikes.