News by Professionals 4 Professionals

texas

Maplewood calls emergency meeting to address Stargate nightclub shooting

Maplewood city officials will discuss the future of the Stargate nightclub at an emergency City Council meeting Wednesday, after 60 gunshots were fired there over the weekend, according to Maplewood Police Chief Paul Schnell. Five people were injured early Saturday after a fight broke at the club, which is on Rice Street at Larpenteur Avenue. One gunshot was fired inside and dozens more rang out in the parking lot as frenzied patrons spilled outside.

No one was seriously hurt despite the number of shots fired, Schnell said.

I know [the owner] has invested a lot of time, effort and real money to try to make this business go, but this can t go on, Schnell said, adding that the owner has been very cooperative. The question at Wednesday s 8 a.m. meeting will be whether the city can set conditions to improve safety on weekends, Schnell said. In terms of sanctions, the council has a full range of options, including temporary closure, license suspension on weekend nights, requiring more security guards to be stationed in problem areas like the parking lot, more stringent ID and search protocols, or added technology measures.

The club s license could also be revoked, based on significant public safety concerns, Schnell said. The City Council had already planned to talk with Stargate s owner about safety at an upcoming meeting, said Mayor Nora Slawik, but the recent incident made things more urgent. Club owner Paul Xiong met with the council last summer shortly after he took ownership. There had been problems with large crowds and uncontrollable behavior.

Xiong agreed to stop hosting 18-plus nights, Slawik said. Xiong couldn t be reached for comment Sunday. Shots were fired in the parking lot in the summer of 2016.

Other incidents include a 2011 stabbing and a May 2015 incident where a 20-year-old was shot and killed by a Stargate security guard. Problems arose again this winter, Schnell said. On Saturday, 35 to 40 police officers from the Roseville and St. Paul police departments and from the State Patrol were present as a result of the gunshots, Schnell said.

We re down to the point where we have to fix this once and for all, ideally, Slawik said.

DHS weighed National Guard for immigration roundups in Utah, 10 other states

Having trouble viewing the video? Try disabling any ad blocking extensions currently running on your browser.

WASHINGTON The White House distanced itself Friday from a Department of Homeland Security draft proposal to use the National Guard in Utah and 10 other states to round up unauthorized immigrants, but lawmakers said the document offers insight into the Trump administration’s internal efforts to enact its promised crackdown on illegal immigration. Administration officials said the proposal, which called for mobilizing up to 100,000 troops in 11 states, was rejected, and would not be part of plans to carry out President Donald Trump’s aggressive immigration policy. If implemented, the National Guard idea, contained in an 11-page memo[1] obtained by The Associated Press, could have led to enforcement action against millions of immigrants living nowhere near the Mexican border. Four states that border on Mexico were included in the proposal California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas but it also encompassed seven states contiguous to those four Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert voiced concern about the memo Friday, saying it has “serious constitutional concerns” about using the Guard for such purposes. Despite the AP’s public release of the document, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said there was “no effort at all to utilize the National Guard to round up unauthorized immigrants.” A DHS official described the document as a very early draft that was not seriously considered and never brought to Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly for approval. However, DHS staffers said Thursday that they had been told by colleagues in two DHS departments that the proposal was still being considered as recently as Feb. 10. DHS spokeswoman Gillian Christensen declined to say who wrote the memo, how long it had been under consideration or when it had been rejected.

The pushback from administration officials did little to quell outrage over the draft plan. Three Republican governors spoke out against the proposal, and numerous Democratic lawmakers denounced it as an overly aggressive approach to immigration enforcement.

“Neither the governor s office nor the Utah National Guard has received any official communication on this matter,” Herbert’s office said in a statement. “While we cannot speculate as to what may be requested via official channels in the future, we have serious constitutional concerns about activating the National Guard to provide the mentioned services and the potential financial impacts of doing so.”

Lt. Col. Steve Fairbourn, public affairs officer with the Utah National Guard, told the Deseret News that the military unit was aware of news coverage Friday but had received no official word about the draft memo. As such, Fairbourn said it would be inappropriate for the Utah National Guard to comment on the issue. Utah Rep. Angelo Romero, D-Salt Lake City and House minority assistant whip who represents a diverse area, called the memo “very troubling” and said she worries about the mental health of her constituents because of Trump’s approach to immigration.

“People are definitely afraid,” she said. “I think it’s problematic, and I’m hoping our governor and other elected officials in the state of Utah will say, ‘Not our National Guard.'”

“Regardless of the White House’s response, this document is an absolutely accurate description of the disturbing mindset that pervades the Trump administration when it comes to our nation’s immigrants,” said U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, D-Nev. Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said he would have “concerns about the utilization of National Guard resources for immigration enforcement,” believing such a program “would be too much of a strain on our National Guard personnel.”

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval questioned the legality of the plan described in the draft memo and said it would be an inappropriate use of guard resources.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., said, “This administration’s complete disregard for the impact its internal chaos and inability to manage its own message and policy is having on real people’s lives is offensive.”

The AP had sought comment from the White House beginning Thursday and DHS earlier Friday and had not received a response from either. After the AP released the story, Spicer said the memo was “not a White House document” and said there was “no effort to do what is potentially suggested.”

Governors in the 11 states would have had a choice whether to have their guard troops participate, according to the memo, which bears the name of Kelly, a retired four-star Marine general. At a maximum, approximately 100,000 Army National Guard and Air National Guard personnel would be available for stateside missions in the 11 states, according to statistics and information provided by the National Guard Bureau. While National Guard personnel have been used to assist with immigration-related missions on the U.S.-Mexico border before, they have never been used as broadly or as far north.

The memo was addressed to the then-acting heads of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It would have served as guidance to implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that Trump signed Jan. 25. Such memos are routinely issued to supplement executive orders. Also dated Jan. 25, the draft memo says participating troops would be authorized “to perform the functions of an immigration officer in relation to the investigation, apprehension and detention of aliens in the United States.” It describes how the troops would be activated under a revived state-federal partnership program, and states that personnel would be authorized to conduct searches and identify and arrest any unauthorized immigrants. If implemented, the impact could have been significant. Nearly one-half of the 11.1 million people residing in the U.S. without authorization live in the 11 states, according to Pew Research Center estimates based on 2014 Census data.

Contributing: McKenzie Romero, Ladd EganDHS Weighed National Guard For Immigration Roundups In Utah, 10 Other States

Related Stories

8 Pending

160

Comments You must be logged in to post a comment.
login here[2]

Load More Comments

Showing of 160 comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.
login here[3]

References

  1. ^ 11-page memo (apne.ws)
  2. ^ login here (www.ksl.com)
  3. ^ login here (www.ksl.com)

White House: No plan to use National Guard for immigration enforcement

White House: No Plan To Use National Guard For Immigration Enforcement

White House press secretary Sean Spicer (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

WASHINGTON – The White House on Friday said there was no plan to use the National Guard to round up unauthorized immigrants, after a news report asserted that the proposal had been under consideration by the Trump administration. White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters he couldn’t categorically say the move had never been discussed anywhere in the administration. The Associated Press reported the proposal to mobilize up to 100,000 National Guard troops was part of a draft memo being circulated at the Department of Homeland Security. Spicer sharply criticized the report. “There is no effort at all to … utilize the National Guard to round up illegal immigrants,” he said. “This is 100 percent not true.”

David Lapan, a spokesman for DHS, said the department was “not considering mobilizing the National Guard for immigration enforcement.”

The AP said the draft memo, dated Jan. 25, had been circulating among DHS staff for about two weeks and was addressed to the then-acting heads of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

It reported the 11-page document called for an unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement on the states bordering Mexico – California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas – and also encompassed seven states contiguous to those four — Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. The AP said the memo was meant to serve as guidance to implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that President Donald Trump signed on Jan. 25. A DHS official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the memorandum obtained by the Associated Press was an “early, early version” of a document being prepared by staff for Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly. Discussion of the National Guard was dropped before the memo ever made it to Kelly’s desk, the official said.

The memo being prepared for Kelly has not yet been finalized but is expected to be finished soon, the official said.

.

1 2 3 951