Panicked bathers ran out of the sea after a blue shark came close to the shore in a popular Majorcan holiday resort. The eight-foot fish with the tell-tale fin was spotted near swimmers in Illetas close to Magaluf at midday yesterday and off Cala Major, a ten minute drive from Palma, at 9am this morning. The first sighting came and went within five minutes, sparking pandemonium among those who had seen it as well as those who hadn t but were caught up in the drama caused by bathers racing out of the water.
Extraordinary photos taken by stunned onlookers show the shark swimming towards a group of people including children on lilos. The new scare happened this morning as lifeguards ordered people out of the water, before hoisting up the red flag and alerting police.
The shark sparked pandemonium in the sea (Photo: SOLARPIX.COM)
Today Civil Guard were alerted and Civil Protection workers monitored the area for several hours afterwards to make sure the shark, known as a tintorera in Spanish, did not reappear. The fish is thought to have neared the shore after becoming disorientated and vanished after swimming back out to sea.
A blue shark was blamed for an attack on a swimmer off a popular Ibiza holiday beach last month which left him needed emergency hospital treatment. The Spanish pensioner was treated for a two-inch gash to his hand just over a week ago after being bitten off the beach at Playa d en Bossa, home to famous clubs like Ushaia and one of the most popular destinations on Ibiza for British and Irish tourists.
Terrified holiday makers were forced to flee the sea (Photo: SOLARPIX.COM) A local council spokesman said the shark was believed to be the same one that had terrified bathers in Illetas (Photo: SOLARPIX.COM)
Several people are said to have left the water after the incident, although the beach was not closed to swimmers. First aiders launched a search for the fish but abandoned their hunt after about an hour when they failed to find any sign of it.
Blue shark are one of the most common species of sharks in the Mediterranean. The same type of shark was blamed for an attack on a holidaymaker in Elche near Alicante last July. The 40-year-old victim was rushed to hospital and given stitches to a wound in his hand.
A boat went looking for the shark but eventually had to abandon its mission (Photo: SOLARPIX.COM)
First aiders described the bite as large and said he had come out of the sea with blood streaming from the injury. The drama happened at Elche s Arenales del Sol beach. The red flag was kept in place for around two hours when bathers were allowed back in the water.
Tourists were ordered out of the water last August in the Costa del Sol resort of Fuengirola after bathers said they had spotted a shark. Lifeguards on jet skis helped kids on dinghies and from an inflatable water park near where the shark was spotted to safety as colleagues ran along the shoreline blowing on whistles and ordering swimmers out of the water.
(Photo: National Geographic Magazines)
Fuengirola beach, one of the most popular of the Costa del Sol with British and Irish tourists, was closed for five hours while patrol boats searched for the fish. The red flag was hoisted along nearly two miles of coastline.
The beach was eventually reopened after nothing untoward was found. On Friday a beach in Valencia, eastern Spain, was closed after a shark sighting. Bathers were allowed back in the water at Patacona beach after around two and a half hours.
Illetas is part of the municipality of Calvia and around six miles to the west of the Majorcan capital Palma.
It is a short drive from Palmanova and Magaluf, which are both popular resorts with Brits and in the same municipality.
It was the moment families had been waiting for as four soldiers with the Nebraska Army National Guard returned home after spending nine months overseas. Advertisement
“We did our mission. We were successful, and now we’re home,” Sgt. 1st Class Jeremy Rupprecht said. It was the Rupprecht’s third deployment, and now he’s ready to get back to life being a dad.
“We’re ready to get back to soccer and basketball and volleyball and swimming,” he said.
Sgt. 1st Class Chris Rodysill is also a father.
“Three-year-olds grow a lot in nine months. That’s for sure,” Rodysill said. He’s happy to be home with his son.
“Just seeing him and my family. It’s just so good to see them. You miss them so much over that time,” he said.
There was a welcome home ceremony Saturday in Lincoln. The 1969th Contingency Contracting Team helped oversee contract activities in Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates.
“Without these four soldiers doing the work that they did, the things that others needed to do for our nation’s security simply wouldn’t have happened, “Maj. Gen. Daryl l. Bohac said.
“To the wonderful women that stand next to our sides and keep us grounded, thank you,” Capt. Dustin Young said. The commander became emotional as he made the homecoming official.
“At this time as the commander of the 1969th Contingency Contracting Team, mission complete,” Young said.
Much of Concord Municipal Airport s woes exist because it is a general aviation airport, meaning that it only serves private airplanes. Only three New Hampshire airports Manchester, Pease and Lebanon have passenger service, although Concord has been home to such service in the past. A company called Northeast Airlines flew a passenger route around New Hampshire that stopped in Concord from 1945 through 1962. A couple of short-lived companies tried local passenger service after that but since 1980, when Precision Airlines ended its Concord-Manchester-Nashua-Boston route, no commercial passengers have flown out of the airport. And because the FAA closed the control tower in the early 1980s, when the third runway was shut, scheduled passenger service is unlikely to ever return.
As a general aviation airport, Concord has been buffeted by factors that have hit the entire industry. These include the Sept. 11 terror attacks, which grounded all aviation and added greatly to small-airport security costs, fluctuating prices for aviation fuel, which is more expensive than regular gas, and the 2008 financial crisis, which clobbered the private-plane industry.
Before 2008 we had about 120 planes as fixed-based aircraft. After the recession that number plummeted. We got to the point where we were maybe under 70, and a lot of them were just sitting there, rusting in place, said Carlos Baia, Concord s deputy city manager. Now we re up to about 85 still not great, but getting better. Dave Rolla is the airport manager, and is co-owner with his brother, Robert, of Concord Aviation Services, the private firm that runs the airport, known as the fixed-based operator. The city owns the airport but the FBO is its public face, selling fuel, offering lessons, providing mechanics and otherwise interacting with the pilots that use the airport.
From 2007 to 2008 we lost 50 percent of fuel volume. From 2008 to 2009 we lost 50 percent more, Rolla said, noting that profits from selling aviation fuel make up about two-third of Concord Aviation Services revenue. It was a spectacular challenge to stay in business. Before the recession the company had 28 full-time and on-call employees; now it has 5 full-timers and 10 on call, including four maintenance techs and four flight instructors, who handle about 20 students learning to fly at $50 an hour.
Beyond those problems, general aviation is in a long-term slump as the Baby Boomer generation gets too old to fly and younger generations aren t showing as much enthusiasm for the sport, which hurts small airports. The industry doldrums were reflected when Concord Aviation Services contract as fixed-based operator came up recently. The city notified every single fixed-base operator in the Northeast U.S. to bid. We got nobody to respond except Concord Aviation Services, Baia said.
Nationally, the number of light aircraft has been stagnant for at least a decade at around 200,000 total, according to the General Aviation Manufacturers Association, while the number of registered aircraft in New Hampshire has fallen. The state says that the number of active aircraft in New Hampshire, those that took off and landed during the year, was 140 per 100,000 residents in 2001, but down to 100 per 100,000 residents in 2015, the largest decline in New England. That partly reflects the end of the flight-training program at Daniel Webster College in Nashua. Concord is not controlled by a tower it sits three miles north of the controlled airspace around Manchester-Boston Regional Airport so it s hard to know exactly how many operations, the term for take-offs and landings, occur here. But the state estimates operations there have fallen from a peak of about 90,000 to about 60,000 today of which 7,000 are related to the National Guard and about half are itinerant, meaning planes not based in Concord. The Division of Aeronautics expects the usage of the airport to continue declining.